Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Fast Breaking

I do love early mornings. I wake hours before the sun begins its daily run across the sky; don the seasonally appropriate exercise apparel, climb high to nowhere on the Stairmaster, or jog down the long country road from my cabin to the state highway some 6 miles there and back. I start the coffee brewing on my return from the run (or stepping down from nowhere), then shower. All this is leading to the oracle event of all mornings - breakfast. On work-week days I typically break my nocturnal fast with a few hundred calories in the form of hot oatmeal, orange juice, and toast. But it is the weekend days that receive my homage and devotion to the morning meal.

On these fine weekend days, breakfast will include the delicious animal calories and fat that I avoid polluting my arteries with during the week. I can think of no way better to start the weekend morning with brisk exercise, a refreshing shower and subsequent hot cup of coffee, followed by an enormous caloric intake of animal proteins and lipids: scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, hash-brown potatoes made in bacon grease, and biscuits with real butter, marmalade or real maple syrup. And nothing gives a house the smell of home like the aroma of sizzling bacon.

Happy fast breaking!


No comments:

Post a Comment