Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Lighter Side of Apathy

I had to Google "the royal baby" to see why this phrase had crossed my computer screen more than a few times over the last couple of days. On finding information on the "royal" nativity, the breadth of my general apathy grew. The litany of "news" items for which I lament having wasted time on just reading the headline is enormous - but not normally, only today as I verified the justification of and for my apathy. Just to name a few...

  • Mayor Anthony Weiner acknowledged messages between himself and a woman not his wife...
  • VA Gov. Robert McDonnell announced repayment to Star Scientific...
  • Pope Francis' push to bring the papacy to the streets...
  • Europe's decision to blacklist Hezbollah...
  • Starbucks teams with French-based Danone to create a Greek yogurt...
  • Netflix aims to craft 'House of Cards' into 'Harry Potter' hit...
These were "top stories"! 

Apathy, according to Wikipedia is "a state of indifference, or the suppression of emotions such as concern, excitement, motivation and passion". This sounds pretty serious, but still, I find that the proposition does not motivate any measure of concern in me. My absence of interest in emotional, social, spiritual, philosophical, and political matters is not what my apathy is about. I am apathetic about your emotional, social, spiritual, philosophical, and political concerns - unless your concerns somehow directly affect me. And I am apathetic about the inconsequential personal activities of politicians, celebrities, my neighbors, my neighbors kids and pets. I am a lot more concerned about dog poop in the park than I am about anything the Prince, the Pope, Presidents, and Pop-stars may or may not be doing in their personal lives, and very very little about what they are doing publicly.

According to "positive psychology", my apathy may be a result of feeling that I do not possess the level of skill required to confront a challenge, but in fact I am probably over-optimistic about my abilities. The truth is that I really just don't care about those aspects of other people's lives. And there are more things for which a fuck I do not give.

By definition, I may lack a sense of purpose or meaning in my life, to wit I respond; So what? Some may feel that I exhibit insensibility and/or insensitivity, and their observations would be accurate on many levels, but still, I continuously and consistently could not care less.


No comments:

Post a Comment